Hinges serve as an anchor to a door or access point and enable movement. They also keep the door stable and work like joints. The same is applicable for gates. Gates are major access points that need to be robust especially when they have a high amount of traffic. While most gates used to be wooden, nowadays, robust materials such as steel and vinyl have replaced wood. However, these heavy gates need an equally strong anchor and hence choosing the right type of hinges for your gate is crucial. This post discusses the significance of certain types of gate hinges and tips to choose the right ones for your application.
Types of Gate Hinges
Here are a few types of gate hinges based on materials used, load-bearing capacity, their application, and other factors:
- Heavy Duty Gate Hinges: These are basically industrial heavy duty gate hinges and used in commercial and industrial applications. These are handed gate hinges made of carbon steel, 304 stainless steel, or 316 stainless steel. These hinges have a door weight-bearing capacity from 1000 to 40000 lbs. These are tamper-proof and can withstand harsh conditions.
- Security Gate Hinges: These are widely used for industrial gates. They are tamper-proof, non-handed and low on maintenance. Security gate hinges are manufactured with hardened alloy non-removable pins and precision bearing. They have a very high load-bearing capacity and can be customized in terms of leaf length or width, based on the requirement.
- Heavy-Duty Farm Gate Hinges: Huge and sturdy gates are commonly spotted across barns and farms across the US. So, they require heavy-duty hinges for optimal stability and movement. These are low on maintenance and corrosion resistance. Usually made of stainless steel or carbon steel, they can be customized to suit your requirements. They can bear a weight of up to 1000 lbs.
- Ball Bearings Gate Hinges: These are heavy-duty hinges with greased bearings suitable for gates with high traffic. Their weight-bearing capacity goes up to 3000 lbs. They are commonly used in commercial, residential, as well as industrial gates.
- Heavy Duty Stainless Steel Gate Hinges: These steel gate hinges are either left or right-handed and low on maintenance. Their weight-bearing capacity is up to 25000 lbs. These hinges are made of 304 or 316 stainless steel and have dust seals that prevent contamination.
Tips to Choose the Right Type of Gate Hinge for Your Application
The specific type of gate hinges described above ensure the smooth movement of your gate although your gate material also needs to be of good quality and constructed well. Choosing the right type of hinge would depend on the type of your gate, traffic through the day, and weight, height, and width of the gate among other factors. Here are some tips which may help you make the right decision when selecting hinges for your gate:
- As far as the residential segment is concerned, the average height of a gate is up to 5 ft. and breadth of up to 3 ft. However, this is for a typical residential medium-sized gate. Most businesses would have gates with much higher weight and height depending on their requirement. So comparing these dimensions with the hinge specifications is key, and these are directly proportional to each other.
- Determine the direction in which the gate would move and also the frequency. Some gates may open in only one direction.
- Consider the weather conditions— constant rains or excess heat. While most hinges are water and heat resistant and have anti-rust properties, do note the features on the pack. Stainless steel is the most suitable material in such conditions.
- Heavy duty and security gate hinges are commonly used in industries such as chemical, construction, petroleum, mining, and similar sectors where there is constant exposure to chemicals, dust, contaminants, and corrosive materials.
- For farms, barns, and fields, heavy-duty ball-bearing hinges or strap hinges are used.
- Other factors such as aesthetics, color, and shape also matter. But, you can choose them considering the dimensions first.
Are you looking to safeguard your gates? You need to choose the right type of gate hinges depending on the weight and material of the gate and the traffic it has. Also, it is essential that you source good-quality hinges from reliable manufacturers. Kiesler Machine is one such manufacturer of superior-quality heavy-duty farm gate hinges, security gate hinges, and ball bearing gate hinges among others. The company provides these hinges in custom designs and specifications.