Pivot hinges ensure stability, durability, and smooth operation of heavy duty doors and gates. Whether you are an architect, contractor, or homeowner, a clear understanding of pivot hinges can be highly beneficial. In this post, we will delve into the world of pivot hinges, exploring their working principles, benefits, installation methods and applications.
What are Pivot Hinges?
Pivot hinges are one of the popular choices for today's doors and cabinets owing to their unique design. These hinges enable the door or cabinet to pivot on a single point, usually positioned at the top or bottom of the door. This design guarantees smooth and seamless movement while opening and closing doors. Pivot door hinges are generally opted in situations where there isn't enough clearance for a traditional hinge to swing fully open.
How do Pivot Hinges Work?
The working of pivot door hinges is simple and straight forward. These hinges comprise two components: a pivot plate that is affixed to the door or gate, and a pivot mechanism that fits into the pivot plate enabling seamless rotation. The pivot plate is installed on the top and bottom of the door or gate, housing the pivot mechanism within it. This pivotal setup includes a pin or rod that is inserted into the pivot plate, enabling the door or gate to pivot smoothly. Manufactured from a robust material like stainless steel, this pin or rod is designed to endure the weight and motion of the door or gate. When a user pushes or pulls on the door or gate, the pivot hinges attached permits the gate/door to swing open or shut. The pivot mechanism ensures controlled and smooth movement, preventing rapid swinging or awkward positioning of the door or gate.
The following points substantiate the use of pivot hinges in various applications.
- Smooth Operation: Pivot door hinges allow for smooth and effortless opening and closing movement of doors. They enable full range of motion, making them suitable for doors that require swing in both directions. Moreover, these hinges are made to provide excellent weight distribution, minimizing the chance of door sagging or misalignment.
- Space-Saving Design: Pivot hinges serve as an ideal solution in situations where space is limited for door swing. Unlike conventional hinges that demand room for the door to open, pivot hinges enable doors to rotate at a fixed point, eliminating the need for extra space. As a result, they have become a preferred option for closets, small rooms, and areas with restricted entry.
- Security and Safety: Pivot hinges provide an additional layer of security with their unique design. The pivot point, positioned either at the top or bottom of the door, poses a challenge for potential intruders who try to remove the door from its frame. Owing to this, pivot hinges are highly recommended for entry doors and other locations where security is a top priority.
- Durability and Strength: Pivot hinges are wisely engineered to offer exceptional durability and reliability, even under heavy loads and frequent use. Made from the finest quality materials such as stainless steel or brass, these hinges guarantee unmatched endurance and long-lasting performance. Their strength makes them an ideal option for demanding situations, including supporting heavy doors, gates, and cabinets.
Steps to Install Pivot Hinges on Doors
With the right steps and tools, installing pivot hinges on doors can be a straightforward process. The following are the major steps involved in the process.
- Get Necessary Tools: Ensure that you have all the necessary tools to start with the installation. A few of the must-have tools include; a drill, drill bits, screwdriver, measuring tape, pencil, and pivot hinge kit.
- Measure: Use a measuring tape and determine the placement of pivot door hinges. Once the placement has been identified, you can go ahead making precise markings using a pencil to indicate where the hinges will be affixed.
- Pre-drill the Holes: Pre-drill holes for the screws used to hold the pivot hinges in place. Take note of the screw size provided in your pivot hinge kit and select a drill bit that matches it. Now, align the drill bit with the pencil marks that indicate the desired placement of the hinges and proceed to carefully drill the necessary holes.
- Install the Hinges: Once the holes are drilled, you can actually start installing the pivot hinges. Place the hinge leaf on the door, aligning it with the pre-drilled holes, and secure it in place using the screws provided. Repeat this step for all the hinges you plan to install.
- Test the Movement: Testing the movement of the door is one of the most crucial steps. Open and close it to ensure that it swings smoothly and without any problems. In case of any obstruction detected, you can make necessary adjustments by loosening the screws slightly and reposition the hinges until the desired movement is achieved.
- Secure the Door Frame: In some instances, your hinges demand additional support on the door frame side. During such situations, check if your kit includes additional hardware for this purpose. If you find additional hardware, follow the manufacturer's instructions to install it. Doing so will guarantee additional stability and longevity of the door installation.
Pivot hinges find immense applications as listed below.
- Heavy-duty doors that demand extra support.
- Architectural and design applications where aesthetics play an important role.
- Bookcase doors, hidden doors, or doors that need to swing in both directions.
- Glass doors, particularly for frameless glass doors.
- Wide and oversized doors like entrance doors in commercial buildings or industrial settings.
Impressed with these types of hinges? Planning to invest on them for your next project? If yes, then getting them from leading sources like Kiesler Machine makes a great impact on overall quality and longevity. Kiesler Machine, known for its expertise and industry-leading products, offers a wide range of pivot door hinges that are carefully crafted to meet the highest standards. Investing on these hinges will undoubtedly guarantee smooth operation, and enhanced functionality for your doors and gates for a long run.