How to Choose Outdoor Gate Hinges?
There are several factors that help in determining which outdoor gate hinge is suitable for an application. Along with the functionality and physical appearance, the service life, budget, and compatibility are also taken into consideration when choosing a hinge. The selection process is one of the most important steps because it determines whether the product will be able to perform as per expectations. It helps in ensuring user satisfaction. This article will help you in choosing the right hinge for your application.
Factors to Consider When Choosing Outdoor Gate Hinges
The following factors should be taken into consideration when choosing an outdoor gate hinge.
- Functionality - First and foremost, the functionality of the hinge should match your application. The hinge should be able to support the weight of the door but radial loading must be considered into the equation also. We have representatives available for assistance in this matter. We manufacture hinges in either carbon steel, 304L or 316L stainless steel. Carbon steel is more economical in price but will rust in outdoor environments. Stainless steel is corrosive resistant and best suited for outdoor corrosive environments. Hence, the functionality needs to be defined in accordance with the application, its environment, and user applications.
- Compatibility - No matter what the user requirements, it is essential that the hinge be matched with the application. The compatibility should cover the materials, size, and functionality. The hinge should perfectly fit the application in every aspect.
- Specifications -
- Size - The size of the hinge is decided upon using the weight of the gate and radial load. The radial loading is the amount force applied to the hinge from the physical size of the gate, weight of the gate and other loads including wind and other factors. The hinge size is directly proportionate to the size and weight of the gate. A larger hinge might also be used in a high traffic applications.
- Type - Different types and models of hinges are available on our website. Each type is manufactured with certain specifications. It is important to match these specifications with your needs as well as the properties of the gate.
- Material - Several factors are considered when choosing the material of the hinge. The material is decided depending on the quality required, budget, expected service life, as well as functionality. In addition, environmental factors need to be taken into consideration when choosing the material.
- Finish - Different types of finishes are applied onto a hinge to protect it from environmental factors, constant usage, or normal wear and tear. For example, a hinge used in an outdoor location or corrosive environment would be suitable for stainless steel.
- Handing of A Hinge/ Gate - The hinge can be left or right handed, depending on the direction of motion of the gate. Other applications in the vicinity as well as user preference need to be taken into account when choosing the handing of the hinge.
- Quality - Our hinges are Proudly Made in the U.S.A. with quality materials for years of maintenance free service.
In case you are unsure on how to proceed on your quest to find the correct hinge, feel free to contact the sales executives at Kiesler Machine Inc. Experienced salespeople will be able to guide you in finding the right fit for your application in accordance with your door size and other requirements.